7th Dec - Le Havre

Richard decided to give Le Havre a go on Sunday evening. We knew it was going to be a long game with 5 players so we made an early-ish start. In Le Havre you collect resources at the harbour and use these to build buildings and ships which enable you to grow your wealth and feed your workers.


One thing I must mention is the fact that the rule book is probably one of the worst that I've ever read, a lot of the important litte rules are in really funny places, some of the them are listed in the components listing on the front of the booklet and last night I found something in very small text on the board. Very strange. I need to go through everything again and make a list of easily missed rules and how to set things up for the long and short games for different numbers of players.

One thing we paid no attention to was the comment that the 5 player game should only be played by experienced players, to hell with that! 3 of us had played once before so we decided to play the 5 player long game. Well it took us over 5 hours to play, I had no idea what I was doing and after a while I realised that I'd made several strategic errors and had to wait hours for the game to churn it's way to the end.

It is a good game, but I would really recomend that you start with just a few players and the short game.

Jo 136, Richard 136, Mike 132, Steve 118, Garry 83

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

5 hours?! What were you guys doing :) !!!

The most I've played with is 4 (including me) & the other 3 were new to Le Havre, but it only took 2.5 hours. Given that the 4 & 5 player games are both 20 rounds, and the number of turns, 5 hours surprised me a little!

Hopefully you liked it anyway ;)