9th Dec - Tzolk'in

I really like Tolk'in, it has worker placement, resource gathering, multiple paths to victory and not too overly fiddly for what it is (I'm looking at you Bora Bora). But it also collects AP like nothing else. It should last about 90mins, but by half way the wheels are moving slower than tectonic plates on sedatives, I completely lost interest and my mind was wandering, (hmm... how many baked beans are there in a 14oz can?), I do like the game but...

Steve 67, Paul, 57, Matt 44, Garry 40

2 comments:

mattgreen said...

I know what you mean. I think one of the problems is the chaining of effects when you remove workers: getting the order right and working out if you need to remove at all and what that gives you and what you will then do next turn immediately give rise to a dozen micro-decisions that have to be resolve there and then whilst everyone waits for you.

I don't mind it either, but the down time with 4 players is starting to sap my strength- if I lose concentration it's all over for me in that type of game.

mattgreen said...

I know what you mean. I think one of the problems is the chaining of effects when you remove workers: getting the order right and working out if you need to remove at all and what that gives you and what you will then do next turn immediately give rise to a dozen micro-decisions that have to be resolve there and then whilst everyone waits for you.

I don't mind it either, but the down time with 4 players is starting to sap my strength- if I lose concentration it's all over for me in that type of game.